In most cases where a comprehensive solution for Power problem is required for any equipment Let us take an example of ATM or any banking requirement.
Generally a combination power protection architecture is a as per below:
|Isolation transformer||+||Servo Stabilizer||+||Online UPS system||>||Your Appln|
All of the above equipments are used to solve different aspects of power problem. Let see them one by one.
- An isolation transformer is a 1:1 (under load) power transformer used for safety.
- Without it, exposed live metal in the equipment at a hazardous voltage relative to grounded objects
- Electrical isolation is considered to be particularly important on medical equipment, and special standards apply. Often the system must additionally be designed so that fault conditions do not interrupt power, but generate a warning.
- Isolation transformers are also used for the power supply of devices not at ground potential.
- Designed to block interference caused by ground loops
- Designed to automatically maintain a constant voltage level.
Online UPS system
- Meant for emergency power backup incase of power failure.
- Provides a stable power Supply.
Seems like a foolproof protection system. However in spite of all this there are issues where equipment get damaged. Servo Stabilizer itself gets damaged. Online UPS gets damaged. There are issues of Down time and service calls for both.
Double function – a waste
An online UPS is double conversion UPS, meaning that it converts AC –DC (Rectifier charger circuit) and DC to AC (inverter Circuit). So the output of Online UPS is stable irrespective of supply side fluctuations.
It has inbuilt AVR(Automatic Voltage Regulator) system which works as a Stabilizer circuit. It too has operating range like servo Stabilizer 150V-270V. Maximum may be 300V. After this the circuits start malfunctioning. UPS will function properly in this range and will not require a stabilizer.
So essentially Servo stabilizer before an Online UPS is big waste as it does not really protect the Online UPS and UPS will in fact does a better job at stabilizing the voltage levels than a servo Stabilizer.
OVCD – Powerful Alternative
How it works:
- OVCD is connected at before the equipment in use. Incoming current will first pass through OVCD then into the equipment. OVCD continuously monitors the line voltage.
- Whenever the voltage is above or below the set voltage limits the OVCD simply cuts the voltage to the equipment thereby saving it from the line disturbance.
- OVCD will withstand the voltage even as high as 440Volts in single phase . Most equipments get burnt or damaged at this voltage but not OVCD.
- It however does not stabilize the voltage as in the case of other devices in the same category like Stabilizer, CVTs.
- When the voltage returns to normal , the OVCD resumes the supply to the equipment automatically with short power-on delay of 3 seconds(configurable). This feature is called the Smart Start. It prevents the initial harmful transient that may damage the Equipment.
How is OVCD better than Stabilizers?
- Superior protection
- Occupies less space
- Transformer less design
Comparison with Stabilizer
|Protection up to 440V||Yes||No|
|Under voltage / Over voltage protection||Yes||optional|
|Protection from spikes||Yes||No|
|Response Time||Less than 300ms||3 secs|
OVCD is 40% cost effective than any given stabilizer rating.
No price variations on wide range operations. Settings can be custom made.
Why should you consider using OVCD before your equipment?
- Protection against Extreme over voltage.
- No problems due to voltage fluctuation.
- Zero downtime
- Your equipment becomes more rugged
- Less service calls = Increased profitability + Increased credibility.
- Better perception of quality of your system in the minds of the customers
- Increases the chances of repeat sales or referral sales.
Now you can install your equipment in the worst electrical conditions without being bothered about service calls.
Our proposed solution
|Isolation transformer||+||OVCD||+||Online UPS system||>||Your Appln|
Why trust us on this solution
- 15 years of experience in this domain.
- Over 3.5 lakh live installations all across the country and counting
- Solution is accepted by many UPS manufacturers like Emerson, Delta, Numeric, Techser, Eaton, GE and many more.
- We have reduced their service issues related to power problems by more than 75%
Write to us for more queries on queries@microsystemservices.
About the Author (Click on the image to visit his LinkedIn profile)